Spitcast has an open API. This means you can code your own surf apps by leveraging Spitcast's trusted and accurate surf prediction algorithm. Drop me a note if you are planning to use the Spitcast API. I love hearing about interesting projects.
BTW: The best way to stay informed on API updates is to Like us on Facebook.
The Fine Print
- Public distribution of Spitcast API content must acknowledge Spitcast as the content source, and provide a link to Spitcast.com.
- The Spitcast API is available for non-commercial use. Commercial use is possible by prior arrangement.
- The Spitcast API is available for low request volume use. Please cache API responses. Please also make API requests to api.spitcast.com, and NOT to www.spitcast.com.
- The Spitcast API is experimental and is currently offered on an ad hoc basis with no guarantee of uptime or availability of continued service. We reserve the right to disable access to external applications at any time.
If you have any questions, please contact me. We're flexible!
The Spitcast API is REST-like and provides JSON formatted responses, from the following request endpoints:
Optional Request Parameters
- dcat: i.e. 'Date Category', which can equal 'day' or 'weekend' or 'week'. (default: 'day')
- dval: i.e. 'Date Value', with syntax 'YYYYMMDD' or for example '20110510'. (default: today)
Endless Bummer NY Widget
Todd Stewart's blog Endless Bummer chronicles the life of a surfer living without surf in New York City. Todd's Scoreboard Widget displays the current surf report at top California surf spots, and as joke displays the surf in Manhattan as always Flat.
Surf Alarm iPhone App
Alex Medearis developed 'Surf Alarm', which sends push notification to your iPhone when the surf is going off at your favorite beach.
Surf Report CA Android App
Charles Lee developed 'Surf Report CA', which brings surf forecasting to your Android phone.
SoCalSwells Facebook App
Rob Higgins developed 'SoCalSwells', which mashes Facebook, Google Maps, and Spitcast APIs.
Surf Buddy Chrome Extension
Blair Kutzman developed 'Surf Buddy', which gives you surf forecasts directly from your Google Chrome browser.
Surf Report CA Palm Pre App
Charles Lee also developed 'Surf Report CA' for the Palm Pre phone.